A4S CFO Net Zero Statement of Support
CFOs have a vital role to play in achieving global net zero emissions. The signatories of this statement of support are showing leadership towards achieving this goal and avoiding the worst impacts of climate change.
Our 36 signatories are collectively responsible for 35.1 million tonnes of direct emissions with the opportunity to influence 261.3 million tonnes of indirect emissions through their asset base and assets under management.
If you're feeling inspired to make a change in your organization, you can find out how to by downloading our essential guides.
The next decade is critical. The recent report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) warned of severe consequences of a failure to prevent global warming exceeding 1.5°C. To limit the increase in global average temperatures to 1.5°C, emissions need to halve by 2030, and drop to net zero by the middle of the century for the best chance of avoiding the worst impacts of climate change.
As Chief Financial Officers (CFOs), we recognize the scale of the transition needed and the challenges climate presents for governments, business and civil society. In our positions, we have an important role to play in supporting the efforts and plans of our organizations to respond to the challenges of climate change, and to share our experiences with others. Our responsibilities include raising and allocating the funds our organizations need for transition and adaptation, embedding greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions within our organization’s decision-making processes, and accurately tracking and reporting our performance against our reduction targets over time.
Several of our organizations have already made ambitious greenhouse gas emissions reduction commitments. These include commitments to achieve net zero emissions by 2030, 2050 or reductions in line with the Science Based Targets initiative. As a group of CFOs, we commit to build on this, and to work collectively to share our experiences and practices with others. We intend to demonstrate this commitment and contribution by doing one or more of the following:
- Aligning our GHG emission reduction targets, across all relevant scopes, with 1.5°C emissions scenarios;
- Setting and validating science-based targets through the Science Based Targets initiative; or
- Publishing our own net zero emissions pathway, outlining our trajectory towards net zero emissions.
Through our individual and collective actions, we aim to provide useful examples to other companies grappling with similar issues. While we see our role in addressing climate change within our companies as critical, we also wish to ensure other companies benefit from our experience. To this end, we hope our actions, strategies and progress can help other businesses as the world moves to a net zero emissions economy.
We are proud to support a smooth transition to a net zero emissions economy. In signing this statement, we are formalizing our increased ambition and signalling our commitment to a net zero emissions future.
- Claus Aagaard, Chief Financial Officer, Mars
- Clifford Abrahams, Chief Financial Officer, ABN AMRO
- Andy Agg, Group Chief Financial Officer, National Grid
- Gregor Alexander, Finance Director, SSE
- Pat Bolster, Director of Finance, Environment Agency
- Kate Bowyer, Chief Financial Officer, The Crown Estate
- Geneviève Brouillette, Chief Financial Officer, Aldo
- Julie Brown, Chief Financial Officer, Burberry
- Steve Buck, Chief Financial Officer, Anglian Water
- Simon Carter, Chief Financial Officer, British Land
- Susan Davy, Chief Financial Officer, Pennon Group
- Javier Echave, Chief Financial Officer, Heathrow Airport Holdings
- Matthew Ellis, Chief Financial Officer and Executive Vice President, Verizon
- Maria Ferraro, Chief Financial Officer, Siemens - Digital Factory
- Julien Gattoni, Managing Director, Chief Financial Officer, World Economic Forum
- David Gregg, Interim Chief Financial Officer, Yorkshire Water
- Mark Hawkins, President and Chief Financial Officer, Salesforce.com
- Scott Herren, Chief Financial Officer, Autodesk
- Karen Higgins, Executive Vice-President, Finance and Chief Financial Officer, The Co-operators Group
- Patrice Impey, Chief Financial Officer and General Manager of Finance, Risk and Supply Chain Management, City of Vancouver
- Mark Kaye, Chief Financial Officer, Moody's
- Markus Kobler, Global Chief Financial Officer Finance and Controlling, Allianz Global Investors
- Lars Løddesøl, Executive Vice President & Group Chief Financial Officer, Storebrand
- Iain Mackay, Chief Financial Officer, GSK
- Geraldine Matchett, Chief Financial Officer, Royal DSM
- Neelamani Muthukumar, Group Chief Financial Officer, Olam International
- Victor Pang, Chief Financial Officer, Vancouver Fraser Port Authority
- Seppo Parvi, Chief Financial Officer, Stora Enso
- Maarika Paul, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Caisse de dépot et placement du Québec (CDPQ)
- Graeme Pitkethly, Chief Financial Officer, Unilever
- Zane Rowe, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, VMWare
- Henry Schirmer, Chief Financial Officer, Randstad
- Harmit Singh, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Levi Strauss & Co.
- Alan Stewart, Chief Financial Officer, Tesco
- Heather Taylor, Chief Financial Officer & Treasurer, City of Toronto
- Camilla Wirth, Chief Financial Officer, Alecta