Net Zero Top Tips for CFO
Chief Financial Officers have a vital role to play in achieving net zero greenhouse gas emissions.
Below, and in the attached document, you can see our top ten tips for CFOs, based on insights from our global CFO Leadership Network, to help you get started.
- Sign the A4S CFO Net Zero Statement of Support
Join your peers and commit to playing your part in the transition towards a net zero emissions world.
- Gain the buy in of the rest of your board and executive management team
Demonstrate the business case for change. Finance can actively support executive management to adopt a sustainable business model that delivers sustainable outcomes.
- Commit to a science-based target
Set and validate a science-based target to reduce your greenhouse gas emissions in alignment with limiting global average temperature increases to 1.5°C.
- Link incentives to your targets
Integrate your climate targets into your organizational goals and incentive schemes to promote sustainable value creation.
- Equip your finance team with the skills to respond
Ensure finance professionals have the skills and competencies to support the business in delivering financial returns in the short and long term, while generating positive value for society and operating within environmental constraints.
- Embed your net zero targets into your decision-making processes, including budgeting and capital investment
Recognize the commercial value sustainability delivers in capital projects and decision making.
- Incorporate sustainability into your financing strategy and investor communications
Explore how treasury and investor relations activities can support the organization’s strategic sustainability goals, responding to growing interest from debt and equity providers on climate and other ESG risks and opportunities.
- Publish your net zero emissions transition pathway
Outline your trajectory towards net zero emissions, including interim targets and a clear roadmap.
- Engage with your pension fund chair
Work with your organization’s pension fund and other retirement plans to identify the practical steps to protect your employees' pension assets from climate risk.
- Report annually against the TCFD recommendations
Commit to implementation of the Taskforce on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) recommendations by signing the A4S CFO TCFD Statement of Support and incorporate the recommendations into your annual report and investor communications.